Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Red Hat's problem with JBoss - 1

Recently, I happened to evaluate JBoss for our client, and even though I had to recommend the app server for migration from an existing app server.

When I visited the red Hat and jboss site, I found a lot of information missing. I dont know if these were left b mistake or simply there was a communication gap or, for certain items, data was simply not there.

Of course, the documentation is not very clear and I understand that you need to take support if you want updated documents. I also understand that it is very tough to navigate one of the worst designed web sites. I can also forgive JBoss for being so callous as to provide login page that simply says "Welcome <userName>".

Hell, I am not a UI junkie, and I dont care what UI i get to work on. I am mainly concerned about my console, my command prompt and the environment. I am not even concerned about the OS most of the time, thanks to Java.

However, as a JBoss user, what I cannot condone is lack of vision and purpose. When Red Hat acquired JBoss, I felt that Red Hat is trying to move into the Java platform domain, besides the enterprise OS platform that it already has. Upto some extent, I approved it as it would unify different providers and the current mantra for organizations in IT run on "Gobble or be gobbled."

When I opened JBoss/Red Hat home page, there has to be an item from Red Hat or someone from JBoss telling me why did Red Hat acquire it and what future awaits us, both as a user and a technology vendor perspective. I found neither. I tried to see, in whatever limited time I had, if there is a link or a newsletter giving me that information. There was none to be found either!

Eventually, if I have to google this as well, then why not simply sell all the web site maintenance work to google and simply give them content to skim? You can simply have a download area, and in documentation page, you can have a single HTML saying: Please Google it out yourself.

I think it makes sense to convey this information to the users/visitors, as everyone who is related to JBoss in some manner or the other will be concerned about this information. Hell, if users are not thinking about it, it will not harm you to put it in their mind about their plans. It can only put you in good books.

I am shocked by this communication gap, and what I am really afraid is that this is not just a communication gap, a real crack in planning as well.

Somone from JBoss/RH, please please communicate that users are important to you, i.e. if you don't want GlassFish to run away with the competition.

contd... coming soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.